Pinhole Surgical Technique PST™
If you have been diagnosed with receding gums or are showing signs of gum recession, your doctor may recommend the Pinhole Surgical Technique PST™ to restore your beautiful smile. This is an incision-free procedure that involves making a very small hole and special instruments to loosen the gum tissue and move it over the areas with gum recession. Many patients that undergo this procedure are surprised how simple and minimally invasive the entire process is, and PST™ may be just what you need to take care of receding gums and restore your smile.
Factors That Cause Gum Recession:
- Periodontal disease
- Genetic predisposition
- Aggressive tooth brushing
- Inadequate or insufficient preventive care
- Hormonal fluctuations caused by puberty, pregnancy or menopause
- Teeth grinding or clenching
- Crooked teeth or a misaligned bite
- Body piercing in the lip or tongue
Treating Gum Recession with the Pinhole Surgical Technique
The Pinhole Surgical Technique PST™ was invented and patented by John Chao, D.D.S. and has been deemed a ‘breakthrough’ technique for gum recession and treatment options for receding gums.
Gum recession is just one of the signs of gum disease, but can also be caused by using the wrong tooth brushing technique or as a side effect of certain medications that increase the risk of periodontal disease. Traditional gum surgery and some orthodontic treatments can also cause gum recession because healthy tissue has to be removed to eradicate the infection. The Pinhole Surgical Technique PST™ may be an attractive alternative to gum grafting because it is a non-invasive procedure. Unlike gum grafting procedures, there is no cutting of the gum tissue involved.
Benefits of PST Procedure
Some of the key benefits of PST™ include:
- Minimally invasive alternative to gum surgery
- No bleeding, swelling, or pain that is associated with gum surgery
- Immediate cosmetic benefits
- Corrects gum recession without surgery
- No incisions or sutures involved
- Fast recovery and healing time
- Multiple teeth can be treated in a single visit
- Healthier and more attractive smile